Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Dare le grazie



Wrong Turkey...


So in preparation for Turkey Day - the food, not the country - I went with Brooke this morning to the Mercato Centrale. Despite my vegetarian inclinations, I'm really excited about the prospect of roasting a whole "tacchino". We roamed the market at 8:00am, before our opera class, and found a guy that had turkeys in his little butcher case. The conversation went a little something like this:

Me: Ciao! I enjoy starting my mornings off by pricing poultry. How much are your turkeys?
Butcher McGee: Depends on the bird. The fatties cost more. How many people are you serving?
Me (to Brooke): bohh.... how many people are coming?
Brooke: A lot. Like, 15, but none of them eat turkey.
Me (to myself): Of course. Why wouldn't we roast a turkey for a crowd of vegetarians...
Me (to B McGee): Six to eight people. Maybe. I don't know. But can we pay now and get it on Thursday?
Butcher McGee: Pay me two euros now, and I'll put your name on this small turkey with my cool little butcher pen, that way I remember it's yours when you come back. Don't you want a cool little butcher pen? Of course you don't. You're a vegetarian. A stupid vegetarian who is roasting a turkey.

Regardless, I'm super excited about this turkey thing, especially since it's my first Thanksgiving away from the home. Somehow in my head a dead bird evokes precious time wpent with family. Maybe I should talk to my therapist about that...


Ciao Bella!

Matteo "Tacchino-Killer" Yazge

1 comment:

  1. I think I am glad to hear that a dead bird evokes memories of time with us! Right??? And looking at the (dead) bird, I will be thinking of and missing you!
    p.s. Don't burn the stuffing!
    love and miss you!
    The Mama

    ReplyDelete