Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I Musei Britanici



Me in front of the Rosetta Stone... replica.



British Museum: lobby; Buddhist statue



Museum of Natural History: big-o-saur


So I did lots of museuming while I was in England (and yes, museuming is now a verb. I museum, you museum, she museums, etc.) Since Liz had class every morning, I was left to my own devices. So naturally, I took myself out on little morning-dates, all of which included Starbucks. I know it's gross, but they don't make portable, sip-able coffee in Italy. And also, because I'm both a cheap date and just cheap in general, I took myself to the free museums.

The first one was the British Museum, which was HUGE. It's probably around the same size as the Met, and definitely smaller than the Louvre, but I wasn't at all familiar with it. Perhaps that's why it felt bigger. There was a really odd mix of art too. Eastern religious art, Greek ruins, Mummies, Mexican prints, Islamic art, Ancient Mayan sculptures, and a room full of clocks. Just want to throw it out there that Mummies are creepy. I'm not afraid that they're going to come to life. I'm afraid that some day someone will think it's appropriate to put my dead body on display. I don't know. I just don't find it appropriate. Call me old fashioned, but I believe the dead should stay 6 feet under.

I also went to the Museum of Natural History. If there had been a museum like that near me when I was a kid, I would have been there every day. My inner child decided to play for an hour in the dinosaur exhibit. They even had a robotic T-Rex! The architecture was really cool too. Very Harry Potter. I just wanted to steal it. Oh, and they had this weird "the history of the earth" type exhibit (lofty no? trying to tell the entire history of earth?) And there was a statue that I believe she be retitled "Momma Yazge sans Her Morning Coffee". See below:





Ciao Bella!

Matteo "Museuming" Yazge

1 comment:

  1. funny... (Good thing - for you - that I had my morning cup of coffee before I read that!)

    ReplyDelete