Thursday, January 14, 2010

Ben & Jerry's, Self-Portraits, and Shakespearean Quotes



Where do the last two pieces go...?




My average evening usually involves a cup of tea, maybe some television, a shower, then a good book right before bed. You know, because I'm an 80-year-old man. I've had many decades to hone this fail-proof evening regimen. But last night I got a call from my friend Sascha, who told me about this bar called "Common Ground". It's a little neighborhood dive over on Avenue A, and on Wednesdays it hosts a Trivia Night. Now you know how I love me a good game of trivia. It feeds the competitive monster inside of me. So naturally I told Sascha that I would be there and that we would win. Or die trying.

I was expecting something along the lines of Jeopardy difficulty for these questions. Man was I wrong. There were six rounds of ten questions. We only stayed for four before giving up. Our categories that we valiantly attempted (and failed at) were Quotable Quotes (historically relevant quotes for which we had to guess the speaker), General Knowledge (which wasn't so general), Ben and Jerry's Flavors, and Self Portraits (we were given the portraits and had to name the artist). For the record, I did know some of the quotes. My love for books ensured I at least knew the ones from Oscar Wilde and Mark Twain. And the Ben and Jerry's thing? That was ridiculous. I didn't see the team that got 9 out of 10 correct, but if I had to guess, they were probably the ones sitting in the corner with a huge plate of hot wings and deep-fried cheese balls.

But fear not! I'm not intimidated. We're recruiting a team and going back! This is not over. Oh, no. It's just begun.


Ciao Bella!

Matteo "Trivially Untriumphant" Yazge

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there, honey. Next time you come home we will let you kids win at "Outburst!"
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. That DOES sound incredibly hard! But I want in.

    ReplyDelete