Saturday, June 13, 2009

Prendo un caffè

I should have known better than to think that a coffee place called "Caffe Cafe" would have anything worth trying, especially when neither "e" has an accent above it -- (é or è). "Don't dirty your teeth," as my great grandmother used to say.

I was bored this afternoon, so I decided to go find a place to get coffee and read. I'm in the middle of Count of Monte Cristo. Loving it, but a little annoyed at how obvious it is that Dumas was paid per word. So I got to the counter and there was no menu to be found. All I wanted was an iced Americano, fairly simple. I could have gone behind the counter and made it myself. But instead of doing it the right way, the lady took some pitcher out of the fridge, poured it over ice, then asked if I want it sweetened. She took a bottle of clear liquid labeled "Splenda" and poured a disgusting amount in. Finally she told me, "that will be $5.25," and I choked on either the horrible flavor or the price gouging. I can't remember. It was probably both. But seriously!? I know how to make a bad cup of coffee. I could have done that at home for free. The most I've ever paid for an Americano was $3, and it didn't have any cancerous sweeteners either. But hey, I'd already ordered, and I didn't want the lady to have to pour my cup back in the pitcher... she worked so hard to make it after all. So I just sat down and started reading.

While I was trying to figure out how Edmond Dantés is going to learn from the crazy Italian where all the treasure is, some 12 year old kid comes running in and yells, "does anybody want a goldfish?" He started waving one of those little carnival bags at a group of kids, and I subsequently cut my losses and went back home to read. I decided to treat myself to two ice cream sandwiches as consolation for my failed attempt to get out of the house today. Although, let's be honest. I probably would have eaten them anyway.

The only way I'm going back to Caffe Cafe is if they have a miraculous nun-shaped pastry. See below...


Ciao Bella!

-Matteo

No comments:

Post a Comment