Thursday, October 1, 2009

I cibi del cielo








I want to go back. Immediately.




Les Brassins might have been the best part of the entire trip. You have to understand that, for me, there is nothing more enjoyable than food. I eat to relax; I eat for fun; I eat to eat; I eat and eat and eat. I dropped over $45 on dinner at Les Brassins. Why? Because it was amazing.

Appetizer: Spinach Soup and Stewed Mussels
Deep down I knew that I really wanted French Onion soup, but I opted for something new and different. I have this complex when I eat out, that once I've tried something I like I refuse to order anything different. Since I'm abroad and trying new things, I thought it'd be a good idea to branch out gastronomically. It proved to be a decent decision, though after eating half of Sonali's French Onion soup, I realized that I still have a ways to go before I'm free of my old restaurant habits. Do they offer counseling for your dinner palate?
By far and away the highlight of the evening was the mussels. Stewed in a garlic cream sauce with celery and onion, these little guys were the most delicious shell fish I may have ever eaten. Jamie and I split an entrée  portion as an appetizer. Best decision I've made in recent history. I would also be remiss if I didn't point out the humor in eating "mussels in Brussels."

Main Course: Warmed Goat Cheese Salad with Smoked Salmon
We all know how much I love the goat cheese. God bless that little baa-ing animal for deciding to lactate. The plate was arranged with two large, thin slices of smoked salmon on top of field greens. This was drizzled with some type of yellow dressing that had what I think was dill. My mouth was too in awe to differentiate distinct herbs. On top of all of that was a piece of toasted bread that had been soaked in some sort of honey glaze. Normally I'm a huge fan of honey, and glazes, but it tended to be a bit too sweet for me because of the sweetness of the dressing. It did go very well with the ring of warmed goat cheese that sat on top of the toasted bread though. The cheese was fantastic, golden around the edges, with a bite but not bitter. The overall effect of the salad was heaven. I had to forsake the glaze-soaked bread halfway through because it was too strong, but if that's my only complaint of the evening, I think the restaurant did a fairly good job.

To Drink: Bourgogne des Flandres
I'm not a huge beer person, but when it's properly matched to the food you're eating (Corona with ceviche, Stella with Pommes Frites) it does amazing things to bring out the flavor. The waitress recommended this one, which was dark with subtle notes of honey and spice. It went really well with the salad, and even the mussels. When the waitress first brought it out to us, I started to take the bottle to my lips to taste it, but then I saw that she had a glasses for us to pour it into. We both laughed a little bit, and she earned a little bigger tip. I do have to say that the entire staff was wonderful. Very cheerful and funny. One even told Lindsey that she had to finish her beef stew before she was allowed to leave!

Dessert: No room.
But I would have gotten one of their molten chocolate cakes.

We were really tempted to go back the next day for lunch, but none of us wanted to taint the experience. And judging by how busy it was the night we were there (we got the only table that wasn't already reserved) we might not have been able to find a seat. It's no surprise that it's always packed, what with the yellowed lighting, French posters all over the walls, and Jazz music playing softly in the background. You can't help but get the warm fuzzies. But maybe that was just the Bourgogne des Flanders talking!


Ciao Bella!

Matteo "Brassins-boy" Yazge

1 comment: