Saturday, October 10, 2009

L'Opera Bellissima



Amami, Alfredo.




We went back to the Opera last night for Il Trovatore, which ended up being a better cast than that of Rigoletto. I just need to remember to take a nap next time... before we go to the opera. Not during the 4th Act. Brooke and I decided to throw an aperativo - the Italian equivalent of drinks and appetizers - for our class before the show. It ended up only being four of us, but we had a nice time. Pear with peccarino and balsamic, red and green tomato bruschetta, homemade mushroom pasty puffs, peppers with tzatziki... and wine. My glass is probably what contributed to my nap. That and the fact that the Italians can't seem to grasp the concept of air conditioning. I'm sorry, but when you turn out the lights, crank up the heat, and make me listen to classical music, I'M GOING TO FALL ASLEEP! The people at NYU said that the Italians don't believe in air conditioning because they think it makes you sick. Right. And so they all smoke like chimneys because...?


But ignoring ignorance, I'd like to share how excited about La Traviata. It's one of the more moving love stories I've read/heard/seen. The really cool thing that I didn't realize until seeing La Traviata, is that Moulin Rouge takes almost all of its core plot developments from the opera. A "fallen woman" with consumption, a man who falls in love with her, story takes palce in Paris, a father figure who convinces her to lie and say she doesn't love the young man. I'd also like you to notice how Nicole Kidman and Anna Netrebko are both wearing red dresses. Just an awesome coincidence. I don't, however, think it's a coincidence that I love the music to both. La Traviata is the first operatic score that I would listen to from start to finish and be emotionally moved the whole way through. I'm so glad I ordered the Netrebko DVD. You should too. Prontissimo.


Ciao Bella!

Matteo "the Troubador" Yazge


No comments:

Post a Comment