Sunday, October 11, 2009

La Chiese Russa di nuovo



It looks less ominous the second time around.




So I figure everyone deserves a second chance. Even rude priests. I went back to the Russian Church today, and it wasn't that bad. Partially because I showed up "late". The website says that they start Liturgy at 9:30. False. They start thinking about doing the pre-liturgical readings around 9:30. The service doesn't actually start until 10:15 or later. So when I showed up at 9:45, I still had to wait a good half an hour until Liturgy actually began. Instead of moaning like a bum like I did last time, I had private prayer time. All things considered, it was probably good for me.

I sang along to whatever hymns I knew, which was interesting because I knew the music, but clearly not the words. Slavonic isn't my forte. But apparently I was convincing enough that the woman standing in front of me offered to share the music she was holding - music that was written out in cyrillic. I just shrugged and said "Inglese". We both smiled and she turned around.

I may end up going back again, but as I'm spending most of my weekends out of town for the rest of the semester, I don't know when I'll be back next. I'm going to try to find an Orthodox Church in Paris and London. I feel those would both be fun experiences, one because it will be in French (hopefully) and the other because I'll actually understand what they're saying. Anyone been abroad and to an Orthodox Church they particularly enjoyed?


Ciao Bella!

Matteo "Post Liturgical Nap-time" Yazge

3 comments:

  1. I've been to that church before! I'll see if I can find the one I went to in Paris, and I have family in London that could give suggestions for there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I am glad you went.

    I don't know about London (I know about Oxford and the monastery!) but I do know that in Paris, there is a French-language service in the basement/crypt chapel (not as ominous as it sounds) in the St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral. The address is 12 Rue Daru.

    My friends Mary and Andrew live in Paris and I am fairly sure they go to church there often. Check the website: http://www.exarchat.org/spip.php?article95

    ReplyDelete
  3. i went when i was in nice. loveddd ittt. AND. i'm also glad you went. AND. my cousin went to an orthodox church when he was in england and he said it's a lot like monty python...a lot of "father, where's the bread?" "i don't know where the bread is, that's supposed to be your job" etc. etc. on the altar. YES.

    ReplyDelete