Monday, August 31, 2009

L'arte economica e la moda costosa



Our recreation of Statue. Below: detail.



Personally, I find it rather beautiful what we were able to accomplish. I've always been a big fan of performance art anyway.

We decided to visit the Uffizi, which is the larger and more famous of the Florentine museums. They have a sculpture garden outside, and we thought that instead of just observing the art, we really wanted to throw ourselves into it. There are others, but this is the only one I managed to capture on my camera. I know my arms aren't quite right, but I think my well-defined calf muscles make up for that, don't you? Of course we spent plenty of time looking at the rest of the art on display: Botticelli's Primavera and Birth of Venus, and plenty of iconography. Personally I prefer the Byzantine style - you know, where Jesus and everyone else is accurately depicted? The European blonde hair and rosey cheeked Jesus just doesn't do it for me. He was a Jew, he probably had an awesome tan and a big nose. Just saying.

In other news, yet slightly related, I finally broke down and bought sandals. The few Italians I've spoken to were very adamant about the fact that Italians don't wear flip flops, only tourists do. So, on my never ending quest to fit in, I decided to forgo the pair of Havaianas I was thiking of buying (which were 20 Euro) for a pair of Birkenstocks. I KNOW, I KNOW! What was I thinking?! I'm not even going to put how much I paid for them... but they're gladiator style. AND today I bought my Italian-English dictionary on sale, so I figured that was enough reason to splurge on some gorgeous leather sandals? Isn't that how that works? They're wearable art (see how it's slightly related to the Uffizi trip?) And if it makes you feel better, they're a model that isn't sold in the US, AND they are around half the price of normal Birkenstocks. So that gives you a ballpark range. Plus I feel it's an investment, for my podiatric health. Plus, Jesus wore sandals. End of discussion.


Ciao Bella!

Matteo "Buon Artista" Yazge

4 comments:

  1. hahahahahahahahaha....

    jesus wore sandals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did Jesus pay for those sandals with his parents' credit card??? Just asking...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I paid for those sandals all on my own, THANK YOU VERY MUCH! But don't worry. As soon as your credit card gets here, I'll make it up to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe yeah, that's how I justify wearing sandals to church...I'm sure the virgin Mary wore sandals in public??

    Also your performance art is amazing. If the Medicis were still alive, and had any taste for the avant garde, you'd be set. I really like what you're doing, having a man posed as a lady in a depiction of the rape of the Sabines (or the Lock or Lucretia or whatever). Very daring.

    ReplyDelete