Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Mi scusi, sono idioto americano




Three representative pictures upon a theme...


So first off, I'm an idiot. THIS is officially my 50th post. Who knew?! Apparently none of us. The counter that tells me how many posts I've made also includes unpublished drafts, of which I had two. Funny, no? You're right. It's not.

But since everyone assumes Americans to be idiots (even though we innovate faster than most of the world) it's only appropriate that I played the stupid American last night and forwent high cuisine for diner food. We all went out for Kaitlyn's birthday last night, to this place called "The Diner". It was pure genius. It's this American/British diner right in the heart of Florence, surrounded by museums and fancy Florentine steak restaurants. And the best part is that it's cheap. The other best part is that they have veggie burgers!!! Hooray vegetarian cuisine! Oh, and another best part: the chocolate milkshakes. TO. DIE. FOR. So rich and creamy. And unbelievably dark. If I didn't know better (and I don't) I'd say that they used dark chocolate. More best parts? They have a 4 euro all you can eat breakfast special, and free wireless. As you can tell, there are lots of best parts about this place. Including the wheat bread. You have no idea how hard it is to find wheat bread here. For a country that's a big stickler about fresh/natural ingredients, they sure as hell use a lot of refined carbohydrates (white sugar, bleached flour).

Needless to say this place will very quickly become a weekly haunt for Team San Giovanni. I also may escape fairly regularly on the mornings that I don't have class, or on the weekends that I'm in town. Erika and I were discussing yesterday how neither one of us has been artistically inspired by Florence, and how ironic that was. I told her that part of my writing process is getting into a zone, a place where I can get in touch with that inner narrative voice. For me, that typically entails going somewhere to write. I can't do it from home, which is why I've been having a hard time writing here. There's no place to go. People don't leisurely sit about in cafés; they take a shot of espresso and run. But now I have my place. So maybe I'll actually get something cranked out!


Ciao Bella!

Matteo "Veggie Patty" Yazge


P.S. - Wafflefest '09 starts this Friday! Prepare yourselves!

1 comment:

  1. I thought that they used dark chocolate in pretty much everything in Europe...

    ReplyDelete