Thursday, September 3, 2009

Orfeo e li Medici


Marie di Medici, aka - Stone Cold Fox.


So you thought Opera was boring? WRONG! We were discussing in class today how people paid for the huge endeavor of putting on an opera, and essentially it boiled down to the Medici family. They were like the Carnegies of their day... but like, also the Kennedys, the Clintons, the Vanderbilts, and the cast of Golden Girls all rolled into one. They ruled Florence, had all the money, and were insane about funding the arts. Essentially if you had some crazy idea that you thought would make good art, they'd give you money for it. I really feel that I was born in the wrong century, because I've been looking for someone to fund my extravagant "art" for a LOOOONG time now. And by art I mean propensity for expensive food and clothing.

ANYWAY! The very very first opera ever performed was a WEDDING GIFT! Like, from one person. He paid for an entire opera to be written, performed, everything. Just for one night. The best part? The groom wasn't there. [emphasis mine] - I realize that these are my words, and so inherently it would be my emphasis, but I feel those two words give me credibility as a writer. Or something. But back to the Medici! Marie di Medici (above) was to be wed to Henry IV of France, but he didn't go to the wedding. He sent a proxy, and then had her processed (as in there was a procession, not as in he sent her to the federal pen) to France. Mainly because he was afraid if he left Paris, the people wouldn't let him back in. Must have been a great guy. Maybe he should have commissioned a few operas for someone's birthday. Just saying.


Ciao Bella!

Matteo "Opera Studying" Yazge

1 comment:

  1. Great post...especially the reference to the Golden Girls. Oh how I miss Blanche, Rose, Sophia, and Dorothy...sorry, I'm digressing. I hope you're having a great time, although I do miss our morning talks.

    ReplyDelete