Thursday, December 10, 2009

Non è la fine, solo è l'inizio.



Tomorrow is the last time I open my front door to this...


AH! It's over! I can't believe I've spent over 100 days in Italy. In less than 24 hours I'll be taking off for JFK, the second of three flights I'll take to get back to the 'burgh. I'm not exactly thrilled at the idea of being in transit more than 20 hours, and you bet that I'm going to need my "nervous pills" to handle that many flights in such a short period of time.

I was trying to figure out what I could say to give some sense of finality, of bringing everything together. I'd like to blame my lack of words on the fact that I still have two finals left to take before I leave campus today. It's really more because I don't have it in me to be sappy and inspirational. Yes, I'm going to get back to Greensburg (a cultural wasteland in comparison to Europe) and be happy to see my family. It's going to be hard to cope with the fact that I can't find amazing gelato, or jetset to Paris for the weekend, or speak Italian to anyone, well speak it and have anyone understand me. But - in typical Ugly American style - I'd like to point out the things that will make my transition to the US easier. If there's anything I've learned from Oprah and Dr. Phil, it's that pointing out the flaws in your relationship will help make the breakup process faster and less regrettable:


  1. Gym Membership: I will no longer be a lard-ass. I will be on a treadmill at least every other day, doing core exercises, and hopefully lifting weights in an attempt to trick people into thinking I have an upper body.
  2. Grocery Shopping: Any plant that grows in the world will be at my fingertips. Kashi will return to it's rightful place in my diet. Skim milk will exist again. Perhaps most importantly, I'll be able to eat real peanut butter again.
  3. A Real Home: TV. American TV. A bed that isn't just a mattress held up by four wooden pegs, in a bedroom I don't have to share - that has a bathroom that I don't have to share. A fully functional kitchen. Heat. Adequate lighting = no more reading by candlelight. Functioning wireless.
  4. Texting: I didn't realize how much I enjoyed my cell phone until I didn't have it. I miss being able to shoot off a text when I see something ridiculously hysterical. I'll be able to get ahold of people now without having to worry about surcharges, unreasonable rates, or time zones.
  5. Famiglia e Amici! Of course the best part... I guess, right? I kid, I kid. I'm very excited to be home with everyone.

So what's on the docket for this evening? Glad you asked. After I finish my last final, I'm off to throw the last few things in my bags, then out for my last authentic Italian dinner. After that, I think we'll probably pop open a bottle of champagne in the piazza, and sit around enjoying the Christmas tree and the carousel, perhaps dancing to street music. With any luck I may end up going out for one last night at the discotheque, only to make it back to the apartment with enough time for a brief nap before waking up at 6am to head to the airport! It's going to be a long 36 hours until I finally make it home. Say a little prayer for me! Talk to you all soon!


Ciao Bella!

Matteo "Homeward Bound" Yazge


P.S. - You can bet I won't be posting from the airports tomorrow. No way I'm getting charged another $20!

No comments:

Post a Comment