Monday, February 15, 2010

Why is everyone obsessed with older men?!


Very different movies... that were almost the same.


When Hollywood finds a theme it likes, it doesn't tend to stray too far away from it. Apparently this year is all about the shattered romance, especially that with an older man. Oh, and great soundtracks. They love great soundtracks.

Yesterday I saw An Education and A Single Man. Both were really good, and there were a lot of common threads. Both main characters are searching for purpose, oddly enough both are British, and both are/were in relationships that had a 10 year+ age difference. And even though one is a school girl and the other is a grieving, suicidal professor in his 50's, I couldn't help but feel that the two would have a lot to talk about if they ever met.

As far as direction and the movies themselves, they were very well done. I think it may be because I'm huge into the 50's/60's era, but I'm was a huge fan of the setting/music/aesthetic. The costuming was great, but again I would be fine wearing postwar attire. Skinny ties and huge Raybans just seem to fit me so well. The cinematography was great, moreso in A Single Man though. They did a lot with color, which was fascinating. Beautifully done.

Last but not least, I would like to note that Colin Firth's student in A Single Man is played by the guy that was the awkward kid in About A Boy. He's all grown up now and hitting on his professors. See what you can aspire to kids?


Ciao Bella!

Matteo "A single man getting an education" Yazge

1 comment: