Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Wino Wednesday: Stuck on Argentina


I left my heart (and the more functional parts of my liver) in Argentina...


I am seriously considering just up and moving to Argentina after another awesome week of Argentine wine. Who knew they had so many to choose from? Not to mention there are several varieties of grapes that are almost exclusively grown in Argentina. There are close relatives of the Torrontés grape grown in southern Italy and parts of Spain, but these are distinct in flavor. Really, I think the moral of the story is that I'm latin at heart. Give me anything with Spanish or Italian influence, and I'll run with it all week. Or multiple weeks in the case of wine. And yes, that would be a CASE of wine.

OK, per usual, it's detail time:

Wine Name: Urban uco
Type: White - Torrontés
Bottler: Bodegas y Viñedos
Country: Argentina
Price: $8.99/bottle
Notes: floral (though it could have just been the bouquet of white roses at the table that made me think there were floral notes)
Best Occasion for Opening a Bottle: When you have really good friends from Kentucky in town, and you've grown tired of drinking bourbon. 

Kat and Jaclyn were in for the weekend from Louisville, and while we really enjoyed our Manhattans with Maker's Mark (Kentuckians really do make the best Manhattans) Jaclyn and I decided that we should open up a bottle of wine with our dinner. They went really well together. We had a whole wheat pasta with sauteed onions, red peppers, and mushrooms. Delicious. Then Kat and Nick got back from a movie and helped us finish the bottle. And really, that's the best pairing for a good wine: good friends!


Ciao Bella!

Matteo "Argentine-friendly" Yazge

1 comment: