Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Wino Wednesday: Spanish Flare




¡Qué maravilla!


Our first wine of this semester is a white Spanish blend. Normally I'm not a huge fan of white wine, unless it's sparkling, spumante, or champagne. But this was really good. One of the reasons I probably liked it as much as I did is because it was half Sauvignon Blanc, my favorite variety of white wine. Before I start gabbing too much, let me share some of the basics about this bottle:

Color: White
Type: Blend (Sauvignon Blanc and Verdejo)
Origin: North-central Spain
Notes: citrus, pepper
Price: $12/bottle
Ideal Pairings: Seafood (shellfish especially), fruit desserts, a second glass
Ideal Superhero to Drink Said Wine: Aquaman. He could drink it when he grills the fish that he gets too tired of protecting.

So since this wine is both Spanish and goes well with seafood, I decided to make paella. Brilliant choice. I used the wine in the paella. Then for good measure I drank a glass while cooking. Sheila came over and we had a wonderful dinner over the remainder of the bottle. It also went very well with the crêpe creation I made for dessert. Think of a layer cake, only instead of cake it's 24 layers of crêpes, and in between is dark chocolate and berries. What I liked best about this wine is that it had a smooth finish and the pepper notes complimented the spiciness of the paella, and the citrus was perfect with the dessert.

My overall rating: super awesome caliente.



Ciao Bella!

Matteo "Vino Spagnolo" Yazge

2 comments:

  1. Want. This. In my mouth. Please?

    And how about Dos Caminos for dinner on Sunday instead? (I have this L'Oreal event all weekend until the afternoon on Sunday.) What do you say? I have NEVER been to Dos Caminos, can you BELIEVE it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sitting in market research class with you right now. Still want to get drunk off alcoholic paella. (Too good to be true? I am a wino.)

    ReplyDelete